Announcement for the Ninth Call for Proposal (CFP9)
Renewable Energy and Energy Efficiency, Innovation 2
The Energy and Environment Partnership Programme for Southern and East Africa phase II hereby invites applications for innovative renewable energy and energy efficiency projects. As a challenge fund, the Programme is seeking high-quality applications for projects in 13 Southern and Eastern African Countries that can contribute to the reduction of poverty by promoting inclusive and job-creating green economy and also improve the energy security in rural and peri-urban areas while mitigating global climate change. EEP is jointly funded by the Ministry for Foreign Affairs of Finland (lead donor), the Austrian Development Agency (ADA) and the UK Department for International Development (DFID) while the EEP Coordination Office (ECO) is hosted by KPMG Oy Ab (Finland) in Hatfield, Pretoria, South Africa.
For the CFP9, the scope is focused towards projects that:
• Are based in or aim to service energy needs in the rural and peri-urban areas
• Have a high element of innovation of use of the application, innovation in sales outlet or technology in the local market. Repetition of identical previous projects are not favored.
• Aim to overcome last mile pilot testing; demonstrate the commercial viability of a technology in a particular local market;
The proposed project must be able to document how a grant from EEP can lead to further investment and commercialization. The Eligible EEP activities are pilot projects, demonstration projects and feasibility studies.
CFP9 applications are sought in two stages: 1) concept notes (current stage), based on which successfully ranked applicants are invited to submit 2) full project proposals.
Concept note applications will be screened in terms of key criteria, including of the following types: a) project or business idea b) capability of the applicant(s) (technical, financial and organizational) c) development impacts and climate change mitigations d) Scale-up/replication potential and/or potential to mobilize future investment and e) financial leverage (co-financing share).
CFP9 concept note stage submissions
- Announcement of the concept note application stage of CFP9: 18th August 2014.
- Deadline for submission: 23th September, 2014 at 12h00 (South African time, GMT+2).
- Concept note application form and detailed application guidelines can be found here >>
The maximum grant allocation for a selected CFP9 project can fall in the range € 100 000 – 300 000.
EEP Africa fundig is available for projects to be implemented in one or more of the following partner countries: Botswana, Burundi, Kenya, Lesotho, Mozambique, Namibia, Rwanda, Seychelles, South Africa, Swaziland, Tanzania, Uganda, Zambia.
Enquiries can be submitted until 16th September 2014 to EEP.CFP@kpmg.fi.