EEP Africa received a total of 530 applications in its 14th Call for Proposals (CfP14). This was five times the average number of applications received in previous calls, demonstrating the high demand for early stage financing in the clean energy sector.
The applications covered a wide variety of project types, technologies and geographical areas. Collectively, they offer an overview of the state of the market and emerging trends in the renewable energy sector in Southern and East Africa.
Based on the information received in this call, EEP Africa has produced a Market Report: Clean Energy Financing Demand with observations and insights from CfP14. These will strengthen EEP Africa’s operations and help other donors and investors in the sector ensure their strategies are responsive to market needs.
- Grant funding is needed to de-risk innovation, leverage private sector investment.
- Solar PV is dominant but sustainable business models are developing in other technologies.
- Mini-grids are focusing on productive uses of energy to improve financial viability.
- Technological risks are decreasing but risks in the operating environment remain challenging.
- Significant effort is needed to expand opportunities for women as leaders and entrepreneurs.