EEP Africa is pleased to announce that 357 concept notes were submitted under our recent Call for Proposals on Clean Energy Powering Green Growth.
Local and international companies and social enterprises proposed an exciting and diverse range of technologies and business models to advance productive use of clean energy and harness clean energy for circular economy solutions. These range from solar-powered stand-alone systems to mini-grids supporting local SMEs to on-grid power stations.
The EEP Africa team is now reviewing all the submitted concept notes and will inform applicants about the full proposal shortlisting in May. Thanks to all the companies that applied!
Some initial observations about the applications:
- Projects proposed in 14 countries across Southern and East Africa
- Innovative projects in agri-processing and waste-to-energy
- About 40% from women-led companies or women entrepreneurs
- High proportion of local companies and enterprises as Lead Applicants
- About 70% in early stages of development (feasibility studies, pilot and demonstration projects)
The theme of this call was based partly on EEP Africa’s 2019 study Powering Productivity: Lessons in Green Growth from the EEP Africa Portfolio. More details about the 2020 Call for Proposals and EEP Africa’s application process in general can be found in the Financing section of our website.