On 10 December 2020, the EEP Africa Supervisory Board gathered virtually for the annual governance meeting of the Trust Fund. The Board is comprised of donor representative from Austria, Finland and the Nordic Development Fund (NDF).
As the host institution, Leena Klossner of NDF opened the meeting with brief remarks about NDF’s new Strategy 2025, approved by the NDF Board of Directors in 2020, and how EEP Africa fits into NDF’s broader climate finance portfolio. The new strategy has a strengthened focus on Africa, adaptation and partnerships.
“EEP Africa is well-aligned with NDF’s refreshed strategic direction and will continue to be an important part of our holistic approach to climate financing. We see EEP Africa as an important pipeline generator for later stage investors in the sector.” Leena Klossner, Deputy Managing Director, NDF
In the morning, the EEP Africa team provided a thorough review of the past year’s activities and discussed plans for 2021. Later in the day, Altai Consulting presented findings and recommendations from the recently concluded EEP Africa Impact and Performance Evaluation. A summary of the evaluation will be published in early 2021.
“We are pleased to see that despite the unexpected challenges of 2020, EEP Africa has remained fully operational and continued to contribute to the growth and development of the clean energy sector. As the evaluation points out, EEP Africa’s interventions generate positive change that are now more essential than ever.” Petri Wanner, Chair of the Supervisory Board, MFA Finland
EEP Africa highlights in 2020 include:
- 26 new projects approved for funding under EEP Innovation call for proposals.
- First loan signed under the new EEP Catalyst financing window.
- Enhanced support and flexibility for project developers dealing with the impact of COVID-19.
- Active partnering on virtual events, culminating in our flagship Investor Forum and Knowledge Exchange Forum.
- EEP Africa Project of the Year and launch of a new Rising Energy Leader award.
- Publication of knowledge products on the role of clean energy in climate adaptation and resilience, market development in productive use and circular economy, and e-mobility.
EEP Africa Supervisory Board Members:
Leena Klossner, Nordic Development Fund (NDF); Petri Wanner, Ministry for Foreign Affairs of Finland (MFA Finland); Oliver Walter, Austrian Development Agency (ADA)